Kewl Software Happenings

Sunday, October 23, 2005

The meaning of one cent

A certain event occurred to me the other day, which caused me to pause for a moment and consider the meaning of the penny. The penny by itself is a rather lonesome entity, having very low self-worth. The penny does stand out from the rest of the coins due its unique color, but unfortunately, at least in my opinion, its color leaves much to be desired. I suppose the one "saving" grace (pun intended) of the penny is that when they are collected en mass, they begin to take on greater value (not to mention weight). In spite of all these shortcomings, the penny can help to convey expressions of humanity. For example, if you have ever suffered through a horrible experience at a restaurant and your plight had one primary benefactor, namely, the "server" (politically correct form of waitress/waiter), then you may utilize a penny as a tip, to convey your emotional disgust with the quality of the service you received. Keep in mind that I do not necessarily recommend this course of action, but the point is that a penny can indeed help to convey human emotion, a trait of humanity. A penny can also be used to convey a trait of humanity, commonly called stupidity. As an example, I refer to the event to which I alluded earlier. I received a letter in the mail a few weeks ago from a business (which shall remain nameless) with which I had maintained a monthly subscription. Because I had cancelled my subscription and because the company had overcharged me, they were sending me a refund check for the overcharged portion. As you may have already guessed, the amount of the check was $0.01. Upon opening the letter and seeing this check, several emotions came racing to the forefront. First, I was in disbelief that a company would actually spend $.29 in postage plus the cost of the envelope to mail me a check for 1 cent. Second, I was frustrated, because I wondered how many other times this had happened to other former customers--could this help to explain the increase in subscription rates that I was required to pay? The company had been electronically withdrawing the monthly fee from my account; why did the company not electronically deposit that 1 cent instead? Third, but only for a brief moment (1 cent's worth of my time to be exact), I felt joy that my lost "sheep" had been returned to the fold.

I now wonder what I should do with this check. It does not have the same level of permanence as a coin, and it would require significantly more effort than what it is worth to convert the check into a coin (or at least a digital representation thereof). Of course, this is only looking at things from my perspective. What additional costs may be incurred by others as a result of the company's brainless action?

I posed the question of what I should do with the check to one of my college classes, and even my class was divided on the issue. "To cash or not to cash, that is the question!" One of my students observed that if I do not cash the check, then the company will probably call me sometime in the future wondering if I received the check, thus propagating their stream of brainless activities. I'll leave you with a final thought posed by another of my students: "A penny deposited is a penny earned."

4 Comments:

  • Another hilarious post as always. I say shred the check and if the company calls--just make the person pause on the phone and say "You do realize you're calling and bothering me over a penny. How much of your company's time and money are you wasting with this call?" Make them feel stupid for such a thing and mabye it will make them cease from further brainless activities.

    By Blogger Shanti, at 9:59 AM  

  • I'd actually contemplate returning the check with some sort of letter about their service, lack thereof, or other comment relevant to the reason you canceled your subscription. I might even say that they cannot buy me off with this sort of bribe, no matter how exorbitant the amount. Hey, I'm a big fan of sarcasm. This would serve the purpose of drawing their attention toe the check and allowing you to get the last word in (something I realize that not everyone enjoys, but I do...consider it a personal shortcoming). What do you think? A penny for your thoughts...

    By Blogger Snowflake, at 6:48 PM  

  • If only I had another one of these checks, I could give you my "two cents". :-)

    By Blogger John, at 7:26 PM  

  • Send the check back with a tract. Your pennysworth of bread may keep the reader from the oven of hell!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home